Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Sometimes you get hit with the unexpected, and for me, it tends to take me off task for a time.  Doubts creep in, fear creates worries, and unfortunately it effects more than just me.  Some people may not understand why I would choose to leave my family and go into a country where danger truly exists.  Don't you know that you could leave your wife a widow and your children fatherless?  Isn't there enough work for you to do here, aren't there many needs right in your own back yard?  Yes and Yes.  The first question is a very emotional, heart wrenching question.  I found myself taking in every word, question, and observation from my kids this morning.  When I found myself alone, I began to think the worst-  what would their lives be without me?  Are they old enough to remember me or the things I try to teach them.  How will Sara survive?  Who will protect her?  Needless to say, I broke down.  Then, like always, the "Truth" overcomes, rises to the top, and reminds me of my faith.  Fearing what will happen to me in Guatemala is pointless as God holds my future in His hands.  If God so chooses, He could remove me today without warning, regardless of how careful or ready I am.  I chose to live my life responsibly, not taking any unnecessary risks- but if it's His desire for me not to make it back, I have confidence He will care for my family.  I  must remember, they are all saved and part of His family, they belong to Him anyway.  As for me, I do not fear my passing-  I really can't wait- but I know who holds my family's tomorrow.  So why should I go?  "Isaiah told God, Here am I, send me!"  Not only that, but the Lord Himself commanded us to "Go Ye Therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost".  Perhaps the most compelling reason for this trip comes from Acts 1:8-  "But ye shall receive power, after the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and you shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the Earth."  This year our church has ministered and witnessed in our hometown over several events.  We have traveled to Hancock County and surrounding counties on a mission trips serving our region. Now we are embarking on the uttermost part of the Earth.  We don't stop serving and witnessing in our hometown, it's what we do, it's who we are, and it needs to be evident and a part of our daily lives.  Why me?  Why not me?

No comments:

Post a Comment