Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 2- great start!

I wasn't able to post yesterday, typing on the Iphone is a little difficult.  Today is Monday and Sheila has been so kind to loan me her laptop so I can post.  Josh just cut up a fresh pinapple from Guatemala, and brough it to the table.  It is unbelievably good!  So yesterday was so much fun.  Everyone was so excited and highly anticipated our shopping trip into the village of Antigua.  When the bus dropped us off, we were immediately swarmed by vendors sellling their wares.  It was so hard not to buy from them, everything was so beautiful and hand crafted.  I am not a shopper, am a saver....but I tell you, I had ran out of Guatemallan money before anyone else did!  The people were so gracious and polite, it was so good to meet them, look at their hadniwork and try to get away without buying what they had.  Lunch was "nothing" special, but the experience made it so much worth the walk.  I have been struggling with my spanish but Hayley Anderson has been my right hand the whole time!  When the waiter came by after we had finished our meal, I asked for the check in spanish, the waiter said "si senior" and walked away.  You could hear crickets....everyone just looked at me like "what in the world just happened!"  They didn't know I had my Iphone in my lap and had looked it up!  Once the check came, the waiter shorted me about 87 Q's-  so here I was trying to explain what had happeened.  Jason Mullins to the rescue....although he doesn't speak spanish, he was able to explain and they made their wrong right.  The rest of the day was spent shopping, watching John and Anthony sing and dance in the square, going to the arch in Antigua, eating supper at the restaurant Mike Parker picked out and then we came back to the safe house for the evening.  Today has been incredible.  We ate breakfast, prepared our things for bible school, loaded up the bus and took off toward San Antonio Acqua Caliente for our mission work.  After traveling thru the village, we were dropped into what seemed like a different world.  Not long after arriving, John, Anthony and Josh (from GA) were chased by a viscious dog who seperated Anthony from the rest of the group.  The alleys are just about 4 feet wide, so there was no place for him to go.  I happed to be about 20 yards away and heard the commotion.  At the time, all I knew was Anthony was running full speed into the street with GA Josh about 3 seconds behind, followed by Mr Grigsby another 3 seconds later.  That was one of the funniest things I think I have seen.  When we made it back to the feeding center, we spackled, painted, installed a stove, created a medical clinic, feeded kids and played with some incredibly receptive kids.  Who knew bubbles, candy and fingernail paint could create such an amazing bond with people who we have just met.  One special little 7 year old wouldn't leave my side.  Evertime we moved from location to location, Emethal would wait on me so he could walk beside me and hold my hand.  Our soccer game was so much fun...those kids are amazing..I have never seen anything like it.  I actually scored two goals.  The first goal I made, I had a big Chalie Brown moment afterwards and fell straight on my back.  I thought I broke my thumb, but I think it's just bruised.  My back is feeling it now, but I kept playing and ended up scoring another goal.  I think this was the third time I had ever played soccer in my life.  Each time we scored a goal, we would run to the other side of the field with our hands in the air and everyone tackled the person who scored the goal for their team.  I think this is like an end zone dance in football, but having all those kids celebrating with me, was indescribable.  Got to share about Jesus with two adult men with Morgan and Anthony.  Everyone is doing so well....you should be proud of the whole team.

Well, it's late and Jason and Shiela need their computer back.  Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment